Wednesday, October 26, 2016

We do school at home...


Homeschooling #7
Time Management.
Sometimes the busier we are, the more efficient we are.

I don't love the feeling of being overwhelmed and busy,
but I often feel like the more I have on my plate, the more I get accomplished in a day.
Why? Because I don't have a lot of extra time and I keep that in mind.

I know, it sounds strange....but here is the reason why....
When I have to get things done, I arrange my schedule so I am able to fit
everything into my day and I don't WASTE time. {key word here...*waste*}
I keep on task, moving from one thing to the next until I am finished because I don't have a choice.

When I don't have much going on, staying on task isn't as important.
I tend to slow down and procrastinate because..... I have SO much time!
Then all of a sudden that extra time runs out and
I haven't gotten to all of what I needed to do even though I had more time to do it in!

I find a lot of times, when I don't have much to do {not sure when that is..Ha!}
I get frustrated and feel busy and pressed for time,
when really if I would have just organized my day{s} better,
I would have had my to do list completed.

It's easy to waste time...especially in this day and age with all the
wonderful technology right at our fingertips.
I admit it, I easily can get sucked into Instagram or blog reading or even talking on the phone.

If you are feeling overwhelmed and busy, I encourage you to write out your day.
Keep track of what you're doing with your time.
Make a list of what you do all day. What time you do things.

....and the most humbling one of all...
Ask your kids! Ask your kids if they think you're on your computer or phone too much.
Ouch! That one can be tough to swallow. You may be surprised at how much time you are wasting.

It's good to know though...when we know our shortcomings, it's easier for us to change.

I have a friend who had a good idea.
She had her kids choose her Facebook password. They weren't allowed to tell her what it was.
If she wanted to use Facebook, she had to go through them. Talk about accountability.
{I think about this quite often Dawn;)}






Homeschooling can easily lend itself to have a more relaxed atmosphere...
....which is one of the reasons I love it so much.
We can do things on our timetable and not the school's.

There is nothing wrong with being laid back...
...it creates a more peaceful and less stressful atmosphere in the home,
but sometimes it can become too relaxed around here...and that is my fault.

I am not one to keep a strict schedule.
We have a routine and a time frame for everything in our day,
but I don't let the clock dictate every second of our lives.
I'd go crazy.
I don't have that type of personality...I need flexibility in my life.
If I want to rearrange the day..by golly it will be rearranged. ;) Ha!

However, I do think we need some structure...God created us to live with structure.

So, if you are feeling like you can't get to everything...do these three things.
1. Write down what you are doing all day.
2. Cut out the unnecessary things.
3. Have a more accomplished and stress free day.
Remember this too...
Not everyone's "busy" is going to look the same.
Not everyone's schedule is going to look the same.
This is okay!...you have to do what works best for your family and don't compare that to others.

Happy Homeschooling.
XxOo

No comments:

Post a Comment