Wednesday, July 9, 2014

What to do with all that thyme.....

...and a little bit of lavender.


Thyme...one of my favorites in the herb garden.
There are different types of thyme...I grow German Thyme...
...although it's considered a "Greek" of "French" spice.

Thyme is a perennial, so it sprouts back up each spring.
Always a pleasant sight after a long winter.
It's very low maintenance and very easy to take care of...you really don't do much.
Just trim it every now and then to keep the plant fresh and growing properly.

So what to do with all that thyme you're growing? or buying at the farmer's market?

1.Cook With It!
{Remember, herbs are so much stronger when eaten fresh, so be careful}
When it comes to cooking, I tend to overuse thyme...so I've been told by a certain male in my home. ;)
I just love it so much.

Two of my favorite dishes I use thyme in....

Chop potatoes and onions, throw them into a baking dish,
top with (many) pats of butter and sprinkle thyme, salt and pepper on top.
Bake until potatoes are soft and begin to turn slightly brown.

Add it to homemade chicken soup...it changes the flavor drastically...
...it completely MAKES the soup! It's just as important as the chicken to me!
I won't make chicken soup without it.

2.Clean Your Face.
Thyme is known to kill bacteria...so why not take advantage?
Fill a mason jar with fresh thyme. Pour a bottle of witch hazel over the thyme...
...leave it sit in a warm area...give it a little shake whenever you think of it.

After three weeks, strain the witch hazel/thyme mixture so only the liquid is left.
Voila! Watch out Clinique!
Dab a little on a cotton ball and enjoy the fresh, natural feel on your skin.

*If you have some on hand, add a little lavender to the jar for a pretty aroma*


Well, that's all the thyme I have for today. {Ha!}
XxOo

1 comment:

  1. I love these ideas! I have fresh thyme and I don't know what to do with it all!
    I'd love to try both of these ideas.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete